*Product/components used and version/fix level:
EX 10.9 on Linux*
Detailed explanation of the problem:
In our XML RPC Server config file we have a webservice which uses basic authentication. I setup the tag with basic authentication parameter and it works.
However when I then make a call to another webservice which does not use basic authentication it fails with 401 Unauthorized.
As long as you don’t make a call to the entry containing the basicAuthentication setting first all is working good. As soon as you make this call all subsequent calls fails.
Wer even added " basicAuthentication=‘false’ " to the entry that does not use basic authentication, but we still get the 401.
And it fails only for a certain server. We have webservices on Oracle Service Bus and Oracle WebLogic. Webservice running on the SOA Service Bus works, but on Oracle Weblogic server it does not.
Error messages / full error message screenshot / log file:
Question related to a free trial, or to a production (customer) instance?
Assuming it is the same EntireX code being used in either webserver, perhaps the issue is in the Weblogic server?
Hi Douglas.
It is strange. You can make all the webservice (that does not employ basicAuthentication) calls all day long and everything works, but as soon as you then make a call to the one service that does make use of basicAuthentication and then use another call that does not all those calls gives the 401. And the only way to get it to work again is you have to bounce the XML RPC Server.
Even the documentation says that the “basicAuthentication” parameter is only for the enclosed calls in the tag.
We’ve now, as a work around, set up a separate XML RPC Server just for services that uses basicAuthentication and this is working for us.
I’m now of the opinion that it is a bug in the EntireX module as somebody else made the argument that the system is sending the authentication in the header of the soap after a first call from a service that implements authentication. It does not check recheck the basicAuthentication parm value again to determine whether to set the basic auth in the header of the soap or not.
Are you running the latest version of the EntireX XML runtime with ALL available fixes applied?
Regards,
Wayne
Hi Wayne
We upgraded in the beginning of the year from Unix 8.* to the latest at the time The Software AG stack including EntireX to a Linux OS.
The version we are on is 10.0.0.19.1331 for Linux 5.14.0
I believe the SAG stack does have a new version, but we will only be upgrading to the latest near the end of the year or beginning of next year as there is also known bugs on the SAG Editor whereby one cannot deploy XMM file to a RPC server.
Regards
Werner
Werner,
EntireX 10.9 was released well before July 2024. EntireX v11.0 was released in late 2024. The current version of EntireX is 12.1, and was released in May 2026.
Based on the version information you provided, you are running EntireX 10.0, and did not upgrade to EntireX v10 releases 10.3, 10.5, 10.7, and 10.9 when they became generally available.
All versions of EntireX prior to 10.9 are well beyond their end of support date. I believe the end of support date for 10.9 is the end of 2026. Since EntireX 11.1 was released approximately 2 years ago, it is rapidly approaching its end of maintenance date.
If what you are experiencing is an EntireX defect, there is a very high probability that the defect was fixed in one of the more recent versions (2), releases (7), and fixes (at least 30).
I run EntireX 12.1. I have successfully deployed XMM files to an XML RPC Server. If you upgrade to EntireX 12.1 and have issues deploying XMM files to an XML RPC Server, please open a Support Case for a timely resolution.
Regards,
Wayne
I typed wrong - we are on 10.9.* of EX. NAT Version is 9.3.2 and on 11.0 of the Software AG Designer. If I press on the deploy button nothing seems to happen, but somebody showed me a java type stack trace.
Oh that makes sense. I was not aware, it seems we are again way off on the versions. I was not aware of it as I’m not part of the upgrade team anymore. I was under the impression we are on the latest versions of everything at the time… 
Werner,
EntireX was part of the acquisition of webMethods by IBM in 2024. Version 10.9 was the last version released by Software AG. Perhaps that is why you thought you were on the latest version.
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/entirex
Regards,
Wayne